NMSU has established supervisory reporting structures using the position numbers assigned to regular employee positions. These relationships are important as they drive many electronic routing processes (ex: time/leave approvals). Therefore, it is important that they are kept up-to-date in Banner (NMSU’s administrative system). Banner maintains these relationships within a field called ‘Reports To‘ . Below are some frequently asked questions to guide you in managing changes in position reporting structures.
Reports To FAQs
1. When and how do I submit a permanent change in Reports To information?
- Permanent changes for filled positions: It is important to request a change in Reports To when the reporting relationships in the organizational structure change on a permanent basis. Permanent changes must be done by submitting a Personnel Action Form (PAF). In section 3 of the PAF select “REPORT” from the drop down options for the Change Code field. Next, enter the position number of the supervisor of the employee in the field labeled “Reports To Position#”. In the comments section of the PAF, please enter any comments you deem necessary to facilitate the review/approval by HR Services.
- Permanent changes for vacant positions: To permanently change the Reports To position# of a vacant position, please email the following details to Compensation Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Vacant Position Information: Position #, Position Title, Pay Level, Dept/Org Name and #.
• Reporting Position Information: Position #, Position Title, Pay Level, Dept/Org Name and #.
2. What happens if the person in the Reports To position is on extended leave?
- Temporary changes in Reports To data are allowed for circumstances where an employee may be on extended leave such as leave covered by the Family Medical Leave Act in which a person is unavailable to approve time sheets and leave reports. In cases like this, units may submit a Time Sheet Org and Temporary Reports To Approver Change Form. Section 3 of this form allows for units to identify an alternate person as the Reports To approver for a specific position. This form must be submitted to both initiate a change and cease the temporary change.
- Temporary short-term changes are not allowed in Reports To data for circumstances where a supervisor may be on annual leave. In such a case, the supervisor should designate a proxy through my.nmsu.edu (Self-Service) who may access their queue to approve time and leave reports on their behalf.
3. What happens if the Reports To position is vacant?
If the regular position is vacant you need to submit a request to temporarily override the current “Reports To” information to route to the interim supervisor. For this purpose, please fill out the Time Sheet Org Approver Change and Temp ‘Reports To’ Approver Change.