NMSU limits access of official personnel files to the following:
- the individual employee and others authorized by the employee in writing with notary approval.
- certain central senior management of the university (HR Services, Legal Counsel, Office of Institutional Equity, etc…)
- in response to a lawfully issued request such as a subpoena or judicial summons
Process to Request to Review a File
NMSU employees, current and former, are authorized to review their personnel files or allow their personnel files to be reviewed by a third party under the following guidelines:
- Complete the Personnel File Review Request Form.
- Submit Form to the HR Service Center via: delivery to Hadley Hall, Room 17, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 575-646-2806.
- Once the completed and signed form is received an HRS representative will contact you to schedule an appointment to review the file.
- When appearing for your appointment, please have a photo ID available as it is required to view and/or request copies from a personnel file.
- Personnel files may only be viewed in the HR Services office with an HR staff member present.
- Copies of documents in the personnel file can be obtained for $1.00 per page; double sided copying is standard. HR Services can accept cash or check and is not able to provide change for large denomination bills (i.e. $20 or higher).
The HR Service Center at Hadley Hall, Room 17 is open during normal business hours, Monday through Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm.
Employee Personnel Files may contain:
- Original Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- NMSU Application
- Hiring Forms
- Offer letters
- Signed Notice of Appointment and Reappointment
- Personnel Action Forms (PAFs)
- Performance Reviews/Evaluation Forms
- Conflict of Interest Forms
- Supplemental Compensation Forms/Documents
- Direct Deposit Authorization Forms or other signed ACH Transaction Forms
- Written Reprimands, Notice of Suspension or Notice of Termination
- Position Reclassification Memos
Retention: Up to 8 years beyond employee termination date
Departmental or “Working” Employee File may contain:
- Duplicate copies of personnel file contents
- Training certificates
- Thank you notes and recognition memos
- Performance Reviews/Evaluation forms
- Documented verbal reprimands
- Leave request forms