Per regulations under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also known as, Health Care Reform (HCR), employers must offer full-time employees (and their dependents) affordable health coverage by January 1, 2014. HCR defines “full-time” as an average of at least 30 hours of service (university wide) per week and is applicable to all employee types – staff, faculty, retiree and student. In order to comply with federal regulations, beginning July 1, 2013, NMSU must begin monitoring actual time worked for non-regular/non-benefit eligible employees. Policies are being updated to support implementation of new employment categories and hiring practices for faculty and staff to assist with compliance with HCR. The new hiring practices will reduce the risk of not offering full-time employees benefits afforded to them through HCR.
- Employee Hiring Definitions/Employment Toolkits
- HCR presentation to Divisions/Colleges – May 2013
- NMSU Frequently Asked Questions
- Health and Human Services Frequently Asked Questions
- Healthcare.gov HCR Timeline