Unemployment Insurance

Former employees of NMSU may file for unemployment insurance benefits through the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions. File online at http://www.dws.state.nm.us/ or call 1-877-NM4-MYUI (1877-664-6984) to file by phone.

fullres_MemorialTower.jpgInformation Needed to File an Unemployment Insurance Claim:

  • Your Social Security Number
  • Names and addresses of every employer that you have worked for in the last 18 months
  • Dates that you started and stopped working for each employer in the last 18 months
  • Reason(s) you separated from your last job(s) in the last 18 months
  • Your alien registration number and expiration date if you are not a U.S. Citizen
  • If you worked during the week that you are filing your claim, be sure you know the gross amount (total dollars and cents) prior to any deductions of your pay before filing
  • If you were in the military or worked for the federal government within the last 18 months, they will also ask you to FAX or mail additional information (i.e., DD214, SF50, SF8, check stubs, etc.) to complete your UI Claim
  • A pencil and paper may be necessary to note questions and instructions

If filing by phone, you should be prepared for the following:

  • You will be asked questions about your previous employment. You will be instructed to answer these questions by using the number keys on the phone.
  • Your call will then be transferred to a Customer Service Representative (CSR) who will complete your claim while on the telephone.
  • You will be given additional instructions by the CSR if required.
Questions regarding Unemployment Insurance should be directed to Employee & Labor Relations at (575-646-2449 or elr@nmsu.edu.